OK, an abbreviated sequel. But a sequel nonetheless.
In exactly 48 hours (OK, 47 hours and 56 minutes), I'll be sliding into the sky above the Cinci/Northern Kentucky airport, destined (via Frankfurt) for Beirut. Destined for the Land of Labneh, arguably the most wonderful of cheeses the culinary world has to offer. (Side note: if my plans for the future, and all of the backup plans I have waiting in the queue, don't pan out, I should probably consider pursuing a career as a spokesperson for some manufacturer of labneh. I doubt anyone's enthusiasm for the stuff could parallel my own, after all.)
Unfortunately, this trip will be a short week, which will seem even shorter in comparison to the nearly two-month stay of summer 2010. But I'll take what I can get. The purpose of this trip is different as well: while this summer I traveled to AUB for the CAMES intensive Arabic program (which, as I've said before, was the most intensely difficult, but also perhaps the most rewarding, experience of my academic life), this time around I'm all on my own. I'll be conducting my very first independent research project, designed to fill a chapter or two of my Master's thesis. Armed with consent forms, a voice recorder, and hopefully just the right amount of chutzpa to walk myself up to total strangers and beg (politely, and in English) for an interview, I'll be navigating my way around AUB campus again... or rather, perhaps around the greater AUB area, just outside its gates, since I'm not quite sure yet whether AUB will permit me to recruit students for interviews on campus (one of the less thrilling consequences of having ethical standards to protect participants in human research projects: lots of red tape).
In the meantime, I'm a slave to the washing machine: after having put off a good portion of my laundry for the past couple (or more?) weeks, and after working my way through another generous portion of the laundry to which I most recently tended, I'm in need of underwear. And such. While many things can be purchased upon arrival in Lebanon, I think it best to travel with my own undergarments when possible.
And after I tire of my domestic responsibilities (which really already happened... about five minutes into said responsibilities), I plan to venture uptown. You see, today is a holiday in Oxford, Ohio. A holiday of pseudo-Irish variety. Pseudo-, because A) I'll go out on a limb here and claim that few of the celebrants can actually point to any Irish heritage and, B) because I think there's probably more to Irish heritage than food-colored booze. I'm a little bit Irish myself, and I personally prefer whiskey (of whatever color) over green beer any day of the week. And if whiskey is not available (or is a bit too strong for the occasion, if such an occasion exists), I'll help myself to a good English cider, thankyouverymuch.
But, all that aside, every year's last Thursday before spring break is lovingly referred to by Miami undergrads (and not-so-lovingly anticipated by faculty and staff) as Green Beer Day. Pretty self-explanatory.
Last year, in an effort to avoid running into any of my students -- both figuratively and literally, as many a drunk Miami undergrad wanders into the streets of Oxford on this day of celebration -- I camped out in the comfort of my apartment, within earshot only of the most enthusiastic of booze-cries. But this year I've decided to embrace the crazy by setting up shop at my favorite study spot, Starbucks. Starbucks seems to be the perfect place to observe the debauchery: since in midday most drunkies won't yet need a coffee/hangover remedy, I assume I'll be relatively protected from any sort of unwanted contact with green beer drinkers, BUT I'll have a giant window through which to view the antics. And I'll be within walking distance of all of the establishments offering drink specials on this most festive of holidays... because, after all, it's a lot more fun to study with the aid of a cheap drink.
So, cheers to green beer, to two days of Beirut prep here in Oxford, and then a week of all things good (read: labneh, stuffed grape leaves, hummus, baba ghanoush, baklava, Bliss Street shish tawouk, and the like) in beautifully mild-temperatured Lebanon. Can't wait to set foot back on Lebanese soil (well, first tarmac). The first of what I hope will be many, many return journeys.
Now listening to: "Rockin' Into the Night" -- .38 Special // The I and Love and You album -- The Avett Brothers
In exactly 48 hours (OK, 47 hours and 56 minutes), I'll be sliding into the sky above the Cinci/Northern Kentucky airport, destined (via Frankfurt) for Beirut. Destined for the Land of Labneh, arguably the most wonderful of cheeses the culinary world has to offer. (Side note: if my plans for the future, and all of the backup plans I have waiting in the queue, don't pan out, I should probably consider pursuing a career as a spokesperson for some manufacturer of labneh. I doubt anyone's enthusiasm for the stuff could parallel my own, after all.)
Unfortunately, this trip will be a short week, which will seem even shorter in comparison to the nearly two-month stay of summer 2010. But I'll take what I can get. The purpose of this trip is different as well: while this summer I traveled to AUB for the CAMES intensive Arabic program (which, as I've said before, was the most intensely difficult, but also perhaps the most rewarding, experience of my academic life), this time around I'm all on my own. I'll be conducting my very first independent research project, designed to fill a chapter or two of my Master's thesis. Armed with consent forms, a voice recorder, and hopefully just the right amount of chutzpa to walk myself up to total strangers and beg (politely, and in English) for an interview, I'll be navigating my way around AUB campus again... or rather, perhaps around the greater AUB area, just outside its gates, since I'm not quite sure yet whether AUB will permit me to recruit students for interviews on campus (one of the less thrilling consequences of having ethical standards to protect participants in human research projects: lots of red tape).
In the meantime, I'm a slave to the washing machine: after having put off a good portion of my laundry for the past couple (or more?) weeks, and after working my way through another generous portion of the laundry to which I most recently tended, I'm in need of underwear. And such. While many things can be purchased upon arrival in Lebanon, I think it best to travel with my own undergarments when possible.
And after I tire of my domestic responsibilities (which really already happened... about five minutes into said responsibilities), I plan to venture uptown. You see, today is a holiday in Oxford, Ohio. A holiday of pseudo-Irish variety. Pseudo-, because A) I'll go out on a limb here and claim that few of the celebrants can actually point to any Irish heritage and, B) because I think there's probably more to Irish heritage than food-colored booze. I'm a little bit Irish myself, and I personally prefer whiskey (of whatever color) over green beer any day of the week. And if whiskey is not available (or is a bit too strong for the occasion, if such an occasion exists), I'll help myself to a good English cider, thankyouverymuch.
But, all that aside, every year's last Thursday before spring break is lovingly referred to by Miami undergrads (and not-so-lovingly anticipated by faculty and staff) as Green Beer Day. Pretty self-explanatory.
Last year, in an effort to avoid running into any of my students -- both figuratively and literally, as many a drunk Miami undergrad wanders into the streets of Oxford on this day of celebration -- I camped out in the comfort of my apartment, within earshot only of the most enthusiastic of booze-cries. But this year I've decided to embrace the crazy by setting up shop at my favorite study spot, Starbucks. Starbucks seems to be the perfect place to observe the debauchery: since in midday most drunkies won't yet need a coffee/hangover remedy, I assume I'll be relatively protected from any sort of unwanted contact with green beer drinkers, BUT I'll have a giant window through which to view the antics. And I'll be within walking distance of all of the establishments offering drink specials on this most festive of holidays... because, after all, it's a lot more fun to study with the aid of a cheap drink.
So, cheers to green beer, to two days of Beirut prep here in Oxford, and then a week of all things good (read: labneh, stuffed grape leaves, hummus, baba ghanoush, baklava, Bliss Street shish tawouk, and the like) in beautifully mild-temperatured Lebanon. Can't wait to set foot back on Lebanese soil (well, first tarmac). The first of what I hope will be many, many return journeys.
Now listening to: "Rockin' Into the Night" -- .38 Special // The I and Love and You album -- The Avett Brothers

No comments:
Post a Comment