Since my only experience of the Lebanese climate was in the summertime, I'm amused by the quickly shifting moods of the weather gods hovering over Beirut at this time of year. Earlier in the week I felt a familiar humidity I've actually come to miss in my dry, dry Oxford apartment. Mostly, my hair misses it. But once in Beirut, my hair poofed to its normal volume.
Today, though, it is not only raining off and on like other days this week, it is pretty chilly. The rain has been more persistent, the sky is dark, and I appear to be the only one wearing sandals. I should've consulted the weather forecast before deciding on today's footwear. I should also probably buy an umbrella, but it seems silly to get one for just a week so I've been using my rain jacket as an umbrella for my laptop-toting backpack, sacrificing my head to the gods of the rain. Really, just my hair -- it would probably take hours of solid rain before any dampness permeated through my layers of curls to my scalp. OK, that's a slight exaggeration. But I don't mind a little rain as long as my electronics are safe. I do look pretty ridiculous, though: it's already clear I'm "one of those Americans" since I'm walking everywhere with a fat bag strapped to my back (but NOT the pink one anymore, friends -- I finally gave in and ditched the obnoxious but trusty pink for a new, modestly-colored model)... but when I toss my red-orange raincoat across the heap of backpack for protection, I look like even more of a gringo. And yes, I know "gringo" isn't traditionally used in the present context. But I've come to adopt it as a catchall label for goofy American traveler behavior. Well, I'm either a gringo, or I'm Olivia, Super-Student, because I've taken to gathering the sleeves of the raincoat under my chin when covering my backpack, such that the jacket unintentionally becomes a sort of cape...
But if you see a picture of my belongings in a heap on the news with a banner scrolling something to the tune of "American student melts, leaves behind backpack full of schoolwork", you'll know it was because of the rain. Not sure whether my melting would indicate I'm a witch, or that I'm made of sugar and spice and everything nice. Not for me to decide.
Anyway, I'm just hoping the chill and damp doesn't scare away research participants -- I have two more interviews scheduled for tonight!
Today, though, it is not only raining off and on like other days this week, it is pretty chilly. The rain has been more persistent, the sky is dark, and I appear to be the only one wearing sandals. I should've consulted the weather forecast before deciding on today's footwear. I should also probably buy an umbrella, but it seems silly to get one for just a week so I've been using my rain jacket as an umbrella for my laptop-toting backpack, sacrificing my head to the gods of the rain. Really, just my hair -- it would probably take hours of solid rain before any dampness permeated through my layers of curls to my scalp. OK, that's a slight exaggeration. But I don't mind a little rain as long as my electronics are safe. I do look pretty ridiculous, though: it's already clear I'm "one of those Americans" since I'm walking everywhere with a fat bag strapped to my back (but NOT the pink one anymore, friends -- I finally gave in and ditched the obnoxious but trusty pink for a new, modestly-colored model)... but when I toss my red-orange raincoat across the heap of backpack for protection, I look like even more of a gringo. And yes, I know "gringo" isn't traditionally used in the present context. But I've come to adopt it as a catchall label for goofy American traveler behavior. Well, I'm either a gringo, or I'm Olivia, Super-Student, because I've taken to gathering the sleeves of the raincoat under my chin when covering my backpack, such that the jacket unintentionally becomes a sort of cape...
But if you see a picture of my belongings in a heap on the news with a banner scrolling something to the tune of "American student melts, leaves behind backpack full of schoolwork", you'll know it was because of the rain. Not sure whether my melting would indicate I'm a witch, or that I'm made of sugar and spice and everything nice. Not for me to decide.
Anyway, I'm just hoping the chill and damp doesn't scare away research participants -- I have two more interviews scheduled for tonight!

No comments:
Post a Comment